Copyright – Why I Need to Understand It
When we talk about copyright we are really talking about one of the key areas of the music industry that musicians and songwriters need to fully understand.
This course will provide you with an understanding of how copyright works and why you need to get your head around it, particularly if you want to make a decent income in the music industry as a songwriter or composer.
Understanding copyright means how to turn your or your act’s creativity into a valuable and commercial asset through generating royalty streams. Understanding copyright is also an understanding of permission needed if someone wants to use your valuable copyrights. Its also about understanding the protection of your valuable assets through copyright law. That’s why understanding copyright is not just for legal eagles, its essential for anybody who wants to or is currently working in the music business.
What’s In It For Me?
- Know the basics of copyright and rights protection so that you don’t have to run to a lawyer every time you have a copyright question
- As a songwriter or composer, protect your valuable creations and learn how to turn them into dollars
- Work out how to make a living from your creative works through ownership and understanding of where the royalties come from
- Understand that to commercialise your copyrights you can either assign the rights or license the rights in your works
- Know how to document the process of writing and know what copyright law recognises when there is more than one writer
- As a copyright owner, know what control you actually have over your rights, especially when someone else wants to use your work